Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Collaborations with photographer W.E Arnold







http://www.wearnoldphotography.com/




...So growing up my grandfather was an amateur photographer and he would show me alot of the film, pictures as well as old movies he shot from the 20's on up thru the 70's. His photos of Catalina island off the coast of California (L.A) were always my favorite, along with his WWII photos of the south pacific and Panama...That was my introduction into B&W photography. I never went that route (photography)as it was a little to expensive, so I paint instead...


...Earlier this year, I met W.E Arnold thru Geoff Collins, chief curator with 83 gallery, at his (Geoff's) birthday party & we just kinda hit it off. A month and a half later we were talkin' about a collaboration...That piece turned out to be Godzilla in N.Y.C #1 (above right). A 20"x30" photographic print from a negative of battery park & the statue of liberty from his (W.E) trip to New york City. At the time I was very impressed with the effort, now in hindsight I know we could & did a much better job the second time around on that subject (Godzilla), but it was the foundation and what a way to start. We showed it for the first time at 83 gallery & their old location at the house on First Avenue. It made a good impression,but didn't sell. In June W.E approached about doing a second for the Exquisite corpse show to benefit the Columbus art mobile at Artillery. We came up with Holiday in N.Y.C (above right)this was a 20"x30" too, but on photo board. It was very well received by a lot of people, including the Director of that show & of the art mobile itself Heather Wirth. A favorite quote was provided courtesy of Ana da Paz-York as "a Phallicly dope co lab!"...The painting sold & helped go to a very good cause (a win-win)...In October we exhibited Godzilla #1 at Clayspace/831 Gallery in a very last minute deal with curator Juan Carrera and were rewarded for it. It was purchased by a man (Tom Wagner) that had bought my Skeletor (O.M.F.G) painting at the C-note show in Junction view studios earlier in the year (April). With the sale of that we were then able to do Shanghai street fighter, this was 24"x36" and on photo print like Godzilla #1 ,but instead of framing this one I used some adhesive to attach it to stretched vinyl.Makin' sure it was square was the real challenge, although I will say that these surfaces are the most demanding I've ever worked with.There is no room for error, as you screw up (misplaced stencil,over spray,etc.) that's it! The surface and painting will not be saved. Thankfully I've not encountered a problem I couldn't handle (knock on wood) & pray to the art gods it stays that way...Shanghai Street fighter is currently on display in Cleveland at the pop shop gallery. When dropping it off up there Rich (owner) & his main dude were shocked it was on a photo print, then to top it off I told them the photographer (W.E. Arnold) took that photo in China! It was at that point that I knew this was a special collaboration & that no two artists had done this kind of thing (Not pop art with B&W photography) before, since that moment the love of the process has increased and the work is so much more rewarding. Also, in October our N.Y.C Holiday was published in the Cleveland State University "Vindicator" along with a lovely article about me by Jordan Leah (Thanks again). In November we knocked out a Jack Kerouac co lab entitled "On the road" for which I sat & cut out a stencil of the last paragraph from the book (on the road). It took about 6 total hours to cut & in the whole duration of makin' the painting listened to my Kerouac spoken word & Jazz mix. He would have to be my favorite author or at least American author. It sold at Aberration consensus in Springfield at the State theatre, a show that W.E & I both showed & stayed at the Marriott along with our girls (Jennifer & Kaycee)...Even without the sale(s), the friendship we've developed has been so awesome & that is another point I keep makin'...The relationships I've made thru these collaborations is so far reaching & so I now have the feelin' that these (paintings/photos) are so much bigger than just myself the artist...November we also took another Godzilla & changed it up. The end results were Godzilla in N.Y.C #2 (screamer)...Another 20"x30" on the foam board (now a fav). This was exhibited at 83 gallery as part of Holiday Hop & it sold that nite. I enjoyed doin' the first one, but #2 was so much fun & I pushed myself hard. I especially enjoy the 50's Esq screamer as well as the new & improved attack helicopters! Now, here we are in December & just completed two more "On the roads"...One of which (above top) "On the road" #2 I did as a Birthday (Jan 1st) present to myself & plan on displaying it above my bookshelf, which contains 4 of Kerouac's works (on the road,dharma bums,the subterraneans & visions of Cody)...W.E Arnold is busy celebratin' a Birthday (Dec.25th) too & together we've both had a pretty incredible 2010 & so there is much to celebrate. After the New Year (my birthday) I look forward to doin' 3 completely new collaborations. That will take us up to eleven paintings with 8 different subjects & I could see gettin' up to 20 real quick...2011 will also see me take the co labs to N.Y.C to show with the Antagonist art movement, along with my other work.The first trip is scheduled for March/April and am very excited, hopefully they will be well received in the big apple too...? I'm pretty sure W.E. is "jacked up" for it as well... I've seen a great deal of Arnold's work & I also look forward to seein' him complete his darkroom along with all the new prints he'll undoubtedly produce, I imagine by late spring. To look at W.E Arnold's work you can do so at http://www.wearnoldphotography.com/ where you'll find more about the artist as well as his upcoming shows. Here are some other links as well...http://www.popshopgallery.com/ - http://www.83gallery.com/ - http://www.macworthington.com/ - http://www.cnoteartshow.com/ - http://www.clayspace.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment