Sunday, June 5, 2011

It's on like Warhol Donkey Kong




http://www.parkerpopshop.com/ ...I just finished the first set of 4 new paintings titled "Warhol Donkey Kong" (14"x16"x2" spraypaint on canvas) in a series of 8.The title is pretty straight forward & understated...I first had this idea about a year ago, but was to busy to implement it then.I did my R&D for it 4 months ago & they sat, ready to be cut & wrapped up quick.I had to take my time on this particular idea & make sure I got it right, not right but perfect.Spending hours,days & weeks staring & thinking of composition, position, color palette & overall originality of the idea...


The best & or most original idea doesn't mean anything if it's not properly executed.With this thinking I sat on it, but once I was cutting the stencils I was flying.All the separate layers were lined up just right & came together better than I could have hoped for.I even "knocked one out" at 83 gallery in Columbus while I was working a shift there,#3 was completed there in just 3 hours,most of it dry time.If I had to guess I'd say from cutting stretcher bars, stretching the canvas, cutting stencils, paint & signature there's probably about 5 hours in each...


All four will be on display this month.Number 1 is at the Mac Worthington gallery of contemporary art http://www.macworthington.com/, number 2 is at 83 gallery http://www.83gallery.com/ & number 3 is at Brothers Drake Meadery http://www.brothersdrake.com/ , all of which are in the Short North arts district in Columbus, Ohio.Meanwhile number 4 will be on display at the "Through the lookin' glass" art show in Charleston, South Carolina on June 18th,where I'll also be live painting.


I'm not really gonna dive into the concept of this series' of paintings as I don't think I need to.The idea speaks for itself, it's not an ink blot test.I look forward to doing the set of 4 soon, but first I need to do some other subjects & get away from it for a month or 2.It'll never be fresh to me again obviously as I did it, so a break from the subject is understandable.I wanna thank everyone who's complemented all of them & I love to make people laugh when they see art & how I can diffuse snotty "Fine Art" , it's still fun & as long as I'm a smart ass....I'm gonna paint like a smart ass....




No comments:

Post a Comment